Shredded Chicken Chilli

Monday, November 30, 2015

Two recent findings amused me and I still cannot stop smiling while I type here:
  • The internet has a new acronym - YANBU - Your Are Not Being Unreasonable. I was laughing my gut out when I got to know this was one of the reasons people land on my blog - searching for the full form. Unbelievable! 
  • The old hawa hawa hai hawa khusboo luta dey song is not a Bollywood song! nor is of any movie. It is a Pakistani music album. I know it is not a big thing... but the thought that I was wrong all my life baffled me. I have hummed this song so many times believing it was an old Bollywood song until recently I decided to look for the video of the song. Did you know it?

Apart from that, this weekend I witnessed the worst traffic in Yanbu. I also noticed there are a lot of shops and markets opening up. It seems like more than half the population here moved in for some project work related to oil and gas. Before this, I heard that Yanbu was/is a major fishing port and local people were largely employed in the fishing business. I am not sure how the state is now... but there seems to be massive development happening. :-) With regards to food, Burger King is coming soon.. one more junk food place... We discovered a Hyderabadi take away and I loved it. I also got to taste the local muttabaq but it was too bland and tasteless for me. F agreed I made it better :-P (hehe) So, how was your weekend?

Also, chicken is always sold in a pre-packed form here. I am not sure how it is in the rest of the middle east. There are at least three different brands that sell the packaged chicken and I am pleased with Almarai's Alyoum. They have a box of mixed parts too, so I pick a box of breasts, mixed parts and whole legs. Initially, I used to think they are frozen food, but I learnt they aren't. Unlike frozen meat, alyoum's shelf life is short. That is what convinced me because real food should get spoilt; if it doesn't then there is something not-good added to it isn't it? I am not an organic food fan, that just survives on people with fear. How can we be sure of anything in that way?

So, talking about today's recipe: My mother-in-law (let me call her Umma here on.. that's how I address her) calls it chilli fry and it is very popular dish among her sons. She serves it as a side dish with chapatis. I had taken note of the recipe over a phone call a long time ago and just like any other Indian moms it was an approximate measurement recipe. Nevertheless, I was glad I got the gist of it and you can get creative and just use whatever is available in your pantry that you feel will do good. Due to the versatile character of the chicken, you can make it differently each time and surprise yourself. :-) This dish rescues me when I am in no mood to cook curry, side dish, papadams, etc. I just have to make this into chapati rolls, sandwiches or even on burger buns. You just have to be creative on the assembling part. :-P


You can use bone or boneless, latter is less work. If you are using with bone, then you will have to remove the meat from the bones and shred them too. I have used mixed parts of the chicken. Use two forks to pull apart and shred the chicken easily. Minimal water is added and it is cooked in a closed pot because the chicken will release its liquid and gets cooked in itself. Add more water only if it is dried up and the chicken still needs to be cooked. Both F and I prefer spicy food, so adjust the spices according to your taste. This is a spicy one!

This is one of the ways I make...

Shredded Chicken Chilli

INGREDIENTS:

To be boiled:

500 gms boneless or with bone Chicken
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
2 whole cardamoms
2 cloves
1 loomi (black dried lime) (optional)
1 spring curry leaves
Salt to taste
1/4 cup water or as needed

Others

2 large onions (white or red) very thinly sliced
1 celery stalk chopped finely (optional)
2 medium tomatoes chopped
2 to 4 green chillies finely chopped or 1 big red hot pepper
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1 tablespoon of Tabasco or any chilli sauce (keep adding little at a time and increase as required)
5 tablespoon oil (olive or vegetable)

Directions:
  1. Wash and drain the chicken pieces 
  2. Add all the items under the "to be boiled" in a deep pot on a low to medium flame 
  3. Mix it and close the pot to let it cook 
  4. Meanwhile, chop the onions, tomatoes and green chillies 
  5. Remove the chicken pieces using a fork or tong hold and place them on a cutting board 
  6. With forks in each hand, pull apart the chicken pieces to shred them while it is hot 
  7. Heat oil in a deep pan or kadai 
  8. Add the sliced onions and sauté them for a while in low flame until it is goldish brown 
  9. Add the chopped tomatoes and sauté for couple more mins or until they blend with the onions, in case your tomatoes are not juicy, add a few drops of the reserved water 
  10. Add the green chillies or the red hot pepper 
  11. Add the shredded chicken 
  12. Keep sautéing until everything is combined 
  13. Add a dash of garam masala 
  14. Add the chilli sauce 
  15. Keep sautéing until the shredded chicken changes colour and you also get a nice aroma 
  16. Taste and adjust the salt and chilli sauce 
  17. Serve it with any Indian flatbread bread or use it as filling for sandwiches
Updated Image: 15th Nov 2016

Shredded Chicken Chilli


That's it! I made this just a couple of days ago and writing the post now is tempting me to make them again.. :-) the juicy and tangy tastes.. hmmm

Have a great start of the week friends! 

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery