Kulcha

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Weekend is the time I look forward for two reasons, one, I get to step out of my house, and two, I will have one more living person with me for next two days. I am happy if even just one reason works. Unfortunately this weekend I had neither. :-( I never got to step out as I got cranky because I woke up late. And though F was home, he was so aloof and in his own world of movies which did not interest me. I leave him to his me-time as it is his weekend after a 5 days of work! but there is always a heart and brain battle in me that says he ought to spend time with me. Battling went on and the weekend was over! :-(

Today, I am going to share my recipe for Kulcha. My love for north-Indian dishes is undying and the parathas that I make has made me earn "good for something" tag at my in-laws. :-) F calls me soyam poki (self praising) because I praise my own cooked food and go on and on about how I did it and what I changed from original recipe blah blah.. and he says soyam poki :-D Thanks to all those years of performance management and appraisals sessions.. we had to blow our own trumpet! hehehe.



Anyways.., I never made kulchas before I came to Yanbu. The need to make one came because we were so bored of chapatis and parathas. I first made lachas from my favourite you tube channel Cook with Faiza. Whatever Indian bread recipe, I just replace all purpose with wheat flour for health reasons and it works fine for us. But recently I tried mixing 1:1 and used clarified butter to cook the kulcha. It made a lot of difference to the texture and taste so much that I am sticking to this recipe.

Kulcha - Indian Flat Bread 

Ingredients:

Dry Ingredients:
1 and 1/4 cup wheat flour
1 and 1/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/4 tsp Baking soda

Wet Ingredients:

4 tablespoon plain yoghurt (I used full fat)
2 and 1/2 tablespoon oil (I used sunflower)
3/4 cup water

Toppings: (you can use any one) 

Sesame seeds (white or black)
Kasuri methi (Dry fenugreek leaves)
Ajwain

Other:
Ghee (clarified butter) to cook - generous amount to cover each side of the kulcha
all purpose flour for dusting while rolling the dough

Direction:

  1. In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and mix well 
  2. Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the wet ingredients
  3. Combine the flour with the wet ingredients and knead it to make a smooth dough
  4. Keep the dough covered in the bowl with a plate or cloth for at least 2 hours. 
  5. Knead the dough again and make equal sized dough balls ( I got to make 10 to 12 ) 
  6. Lightly flatten it with hands and dust a few toppings of your choice in the middle and start rolling it like chapati. The thickness of rolled kulcha is thicker than usual chapatis. 
  7. In a hot tawa or griddle, lay the rolled kulca with the toppings side up 
  8. Flip it when you see bubbles sprouting 
  9. spread some ghee or butter on both sides while it is getting cooked 
  10. Keeping flipping until kulcha is cooked evenly on both sides 
  11. Serve hot (best accompanied with chole, but I serve with chicken masala or dal) 
Note: 
  • Maintaining the heat of the tawa or griddle consistently is the key to getting evenly cooked kulchas 
  • Do not hesitate to dust with flour while rolling the kulchas if they tend to stick to the rolling pin but also don't do it too much.. :-) 
  • Be generous on the ghee 



I made these so many times but was never lucky to click them. This time it was last minute and I did not even place the accompaniment in this! LOL! So that is the end!

How was/is your weekend? and how do you make kulchas?

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery