Dried Fig Pudding

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Fig was not a very common purchase at home, at least not as common as dates. And it was only in my late 20's I got to have a fig fruit and I still contemplate which I like better - the fresh fruit or the dry fruit.  I know the dried ones are little harder than usual and it is not something which I can have more than two at a time.  Is it my dental issue? I don't know! :-D And the fresh ones are so soft and melting in the mouth...



Remember I told that I got to buy lot of stuffs from LuLu in Khobar? I also got some dry fruits like apricot and figs. I thought of just adding it to our breakfast bowl until I saw this recipe on Raf's blog which was a guest post by Farrukh from CubesnJuliennes, I bookmarked it along with other zillion bookmarks. But this kept taking priority in my head (may be because of the bottle of fig that stares at me every time I open the kitchen cabin) Timing couldn't be perfect (sarcastic)  F finally replaced the cell on our weighing machine! 
:-O After seeing the figure on it, I wanted to starve endlessly and wonder how could this happen?? I have light home made meal every day and hardly indulge on weekends! So I decided no more sugar, no more desserts etc..

But again whipping creams, evaporated milk, cream, condensed milk, cream cheese, etc.etc.etc were all stocked up in last week's grocery shopping and he began to ask me what I am going to make out of them and why I got them in first place. So decided to get them all cooked and start a fresh careful eating starting December may be? :-P 



Fig or Athi Pazham (I googled for the Malayalam word) is one of the plants mentioned in the Holy Quran and is a very good source of fiber, calcium, iron, and potassium. It is a good thing to start adding this to our every day diet. For this Kheer,  I have followed Farrukh's recipe - halved it and  just replaced sugar with jaggery powder (just to feel a little less guilty)  Jaggery cannot bring the same taste as white sugar and the sinful always tastes better isn't it?

Dried Fig Pudding

Yields: 2 bowls / Serves 2

Ingredients

1/2 liter + 1/2 cup Full cream milk
6 dried Figs
4 Cashews
1 and 1/2 tbsp long grain rice (I used basmati)
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
1/3 cup Jaggery powder
A good pinch of saffron soaked in 1 tbsp of warm milk
Rose essence or water

Garnish

Saffron strands
a few Pistachios

Instructions:



  1. Soak fig and cashews in 1/2 cup warm milk for 3 to 5 hours
  2. Clean, wash and drain the 1 tbsp rice and keep aside
  3. Blend/Grind the soaked fig and cashews into a coarse paste.
  4. In a heavy bottomed pan heat milk and wait for it to boil
  5. Add the soaked rice and reduce the flame to low - wait until the milk is reduced to half
  6. Add the fig cashew paste, saffron milk, cardamom powder and cook for 6 to 8 mins stirring occasionally
  7. Add the jaggery and rose water
  8. Mix well and switch off to cool
  9. Serve in two bowls and chill it
  10. Garnish with Saffron strands and crushed pistachios before serving

I got perfect two bowls of kheer and we relished it believing Jaggery is better for health while watching James Bond movies with him! Psst. I still love Sugar.



You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery