Dark Chocolate Fig Eggless Cake | A Thank You Note

Saturday, November 28, 2015

I cannot believe its been a year since I started this blog and now it has become an integral part of my life. In this journey I learnt a lot, made new acquaintances and new friends. I want to thank every person who read my posts, for each of the genuine feedback, and for sharing your thoughts personally on chats. A big thank you to all those seasoned bloggers who have selflessly shared their learnings and ideas and continue to inspire me. A a big hug to my Daddy who never failed to inculcate sense of independence without which I would not have been able to deal with the changes. Mom for patiently answering my repeated questions... like "what is pachari?"

After working for years, it is hard to sit idle, even though my blog is not monetized I love the fact that it has turned into my daily workspace. I started to blog random topics and had no clue why I wrote them :-P It is funny to read my earlier posts and it is primarily to do with the fact that I was too careful to share too much on the internet which defies the very purpose of blogging about life isn't it? Anyways...my effort was to connect to the virtual world of people who are passionate and ambitious because the move to Yanbu has been a roller-coaster ride emotionally. The only way to feel happier was to accept the reality and work around that. That was what I did. Stopped complaining and started to look at what I have.

I should admit that I was a very sporadic blogger and sometimes have completely ignored the blog. However, those who kept in touch with me helped me re-discover my passion to food and cooking. Food pictures reigns my instagram and that should have been what sold me to the idea. And F has secretly promoted me from somewhat ok cook to you are better now. Even though I loved the idea of blogging about food, I didn't want to jump in right away. I thought through on how far I can go with this and even contemplated on deleting the blog and start afresh with a new title and new ideas. But somehow that did not appeal to my heart! This is my baby and I have to nurture it with lots of love. So, instead of a new blog, I redesigned and gave it a new look and added "My" in front of Life. I should say I am blogging with more zeal now than ever! Those who used to read my blog from the early days know what I am referring to. :-)

So, a very big thank you from my heart to all those who have stood by me and encouraged. I am not listing names, but you know it. I wanted to share this in my last post, but I didn't want to take away Raf's limelight :-). I found a beautiful image that was free to share but F insisted that I make a cake instead of putting up a free image! His ways of getting me to make desserts! humph!


So now that I have to make a cake, I thought of the lava cake, that should be enough for me to not crave for weeks! isn't it? Unfortunately I had no eggs, too little butter, and that is not a good start. I cannot step out, cannot wait until he comes home, problems of living in KSA! so, eggless it is! Good for me :-D

This cake is totally inspired from my usual Dates cake, I just replaced dates with dried figs - an experiment that worked out good. Cocoa powder is optional, if you want to just have the fig flavour, omit the cocoa powder. As usual, this time I forgot to add the blanched and sliced almonds on the top of the cake before the photo shoot! I added it later and I will definitely recommend you do add them. I had only dark chocolate cocoa powder so had to add more sugar to camouflage the dark taste which is not F's liking :-(


I made this on a stove top. This is again is a very easy to make, just keep the ingredients and equipments ready before you start. Once you have the batter.. do not over do the mixing and move it to the pan soon.

Dark Chocolate Fig Cake

Ingredients

Dry:
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 to 1 cup sugar
2 tablespoon dark cocoa powder (optional) only if you are a chocoholic
1 teaspoon Baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
a pinch of salt

Wet 
1 cup water
1/2 cup oil (any type) I used olive oil

For the Fig mixture 
10 to 12 figs
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon coffee powder (I used davidoff grand cuvee rich aroma)

Decoration
Blanched and sliced almonds
Cream Cheese Frosting

Directions:

Baking mode details:
  • If you are baking in an oven then preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/392 F. 
  • For stove-top, place a bigger than cake pan vessel on medium to low heat.
Make the Fig mixture
  1. Boil the 1 cup milk 
  2. Chop the figs into small (four) pieces ( I used the kitchen scissors to make it easy) 
  3. Add 1 teaspoon coffee powder and switch off the stove 
  4. Add the chopped figs and cover the pot
Dry ingredients
  1. Add all the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt through a sieve into a large bowl 
  2. Add sugar and vanilla powder ( if you are using vanilla powder it goes in now, else add the essence in the wet ingredients)

Wet ingredients into dry

  1. Once the milk and fig is cooled, blend it in a blender until a coarse paste and add it into the dry ingredients 
  2. Add the 1/2 cup oil 
  3. Add the 1 cup water 
  4. Use a rubber spatula to combine and then quickly with an electric beater mix the batter at medium to high speed till it is uniform and mixed evenly. Please do not overdo the mixing. 
  5. For stove-top baking, place the greased pan into the vessel 
  6. Pour the batter into the cake pan ( I used my 8" spring-form pan) 
  7. Use the spatula to clean the batter bowl clean - Whoever invented rubber spatula - I use it for every thing to reduce wastage! 
  8. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 45 mins or until the a tooth pick inserted in the cake comes out clean 
  9. For the stove-top version, I prefer to keep the flame low, and check every 15 mins for the doneness. Mine was done by 35 mins.
Decoration:

I levelled the top of the cake using a bread knife and made the topping with whipping cream and cream cheese . Filled the gaps with almonds (that is clearly missing in the pictures).

I always avoid frostings to feel less bad about eating them, but this time and for the first time I used my cake piping container and so it is a very amateur designing that you see here... nevertheless I enjoyed making it and eating it equally..


I managed a picture with the almonds! Our Friday snack-on. So its weekend, a very happy weekend to all my readers and friends! Please do try making this cake and no oven should not be a reason not to. If you want to know a different way of baking cake on stove top read my this post where I have used pressure cooker. until next time ...

Ma'salama!

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery