Blackberry Ice Cream | Maker Not Required

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

As a Homemaker, I feel extremely happy when I am able reduce my grocery shopping bill or sustain my pantry for a longer time - a few ways to contribute to the "savings" as it is one man earning. Last weekend I told F I just need milk, onions and tea leaves. That's three items right? At the supermarket - where I thought it would be a quick run and I can be proud of having shopped for less amount and break the saying that women shop and eat away their husband's hard earned money! 

But I failed - there it was - all the berry family in cute boxes with a pick me please face. Honestly I never had blackberry or blueberry in its natural form, strawberries and raspberries were my usual buy. I just picked one box of each and continued to pick other stuffs that I thought I might need. The total billed amount was way more than I expected because the berries were imported. fair enough. I consoled myself thinking these are fresh fruits and cause no harm to my "from tomorrow" weight loss plan.



But I did something that worked against me but also made me reach the sky :-).

I saw Raf's post on Easy Chocolate Ice Cream which she made with whipping cream and WITHOUT the maker. May be I am late in this world of no churn ice creams, but hey better late than never!  I wasn't sure if it will work with the berries though and I hate to see it go for a waste. Luckily I came across Jessica's blog post on Blackberry ice cream which called for heavy cream. I had no luck getting that in the supermarket here. I googled standing right in front of that aisle to find what is the difference between heavy cream and whipping cream. Apparently, It is the fat content and the internet claimed it cannot be interchanged or substituted for each other. I thought what the hell, I will pick the whipping cream anyways... F gave me the stare of you better use it kind - because I had once picked "Cooking Cream" and it is just occupying space in my fridge waiting for its expiration date to go into the trash. 

I chose to make the ice cream with black berries because others were his favorites (so even if it flops, I have his favs saved). OK Ok, I know move on to the recipe gal! 




Recipe adapted from How sweet it is

Blackberry Ice Cream | Maker Not Required 

Important
  • It is important to keep the cream in the refrigerator until the need arrives
  • Also keep the bowl and the whisks in the freezer until the need arrives (in places with high humidity this helps in whipping)
Ingredients:
1 and 1/4 cups of  blackberries
1 tablespoon water 
1/2 can sweetened condensed milk (170gms /10 to 12 tbsp)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 full cup of cold whipping cream
40 gm pack of Galaxy hazelnut chocolate (you can use any chocolate) 

Direction:
  1. Place the blackberries in a food processor or mixie and blend until pureed.
  2. Add the water and blend again.
  3. In a big bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract and blackberry puree until combined.
  4. Place the chocolate in a foil, fold it and crush it using a rolling pin.
  5. In another bowl add the cold whipping cream and use the electric mixer to beat on medium high speed until stiff peaks form. For about 4 to 5 minutes. 
  6. Fold the whipped cream into the blackberry mixture constantly folding over and over until everything is combined. 
  7. Fold in the chopped chocolate.
  8. Pour the mixture into a freezer container or any bowl. 
  9. Freeze overnight
To Serve
  • Keep the box of ice cream outside of the fridge for a few minutes before you scoop out.
  • If you do not have an ice cream scooper, boil some water and dip a spoon and use it to scoop while hot

It was a breeze to make this but I feared the outcome of using whipping instead of heavy cream... however like you all have seen it, I can also assure you it tasted too good. Wondering if it would taste better with heavy cream?

This recipe yielded 5 servings or at least 10 scoops - who measures ice cream? I could eat all of it in one sitting! :-D 

I shall diet from tomorrow. 

Taking pictures of ice cream should be pre-planned. I hadn't. It started to melt and these are all that I could save and make better. Like every time, we love to take our dessert to bed and quietly devour only to look up when we clink our glass bowls with spoon in the effort of getting maximum :-D 


You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery