Pumpkin Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

To be perfectly honest, I am not a soup person -- unless I am under the weather or I am at a Chinese restaurant :-D. 

I heart apples, I love pumpkin, and I like butternut squash but never had all three cooked together that too for a soup. So how come? Here goes the story...



I first came across Karen's blog through Instagram around three or four months ago and I forgot about it until I saw more pictures on my Instagram feed. They compelled me to visit her blog and I am so amazed at how she uses seasonal food and the great photography that adorns her blog. I also noticed two badges for cooking challenges and I have been intrigued by them since then. Tea Time Treats and Cooking with Herbs - what better time? I was looking for challenges in cooking to boost my confidence, keep me busy, try new things, to create something from scratch - because living in this part of country doing nothing can drive me insane.

Tea Time Treats is hosted alternate months by Karen from Lavender and Lovage and Jane from The Hedgecombers and looks like it has been active since 2011, that's almost four years! This month theme is Halloween and Bonfire Night Treats and she had some suggestions to inspire. 

The closest I have been to a Halloween party is in watching Modern Family episodes and about bonfire nights may be a couple of times in my life back in India. So this concept was kinda new to me, hence quickly looked through her suggestion. The Bonfire Chilli with Beef, Chocolate and Pumpkin was inviting but the options of soup got me because of the changing weather in this part of the world too. Both F and I are sick with cold, so a bowl of soup will be comforting.



To be aligned to the theme, I adapted the recipe from here.

Making soup and that too with squash was a first time... there is a first time for everything. I had stopped buying the vegetable/chicken stalk cubes to promote healthy eating at home which made me make the vegetable stalk from scratch adapted from Martha Stewart website. Also I enjoy some bites in the soup like I love my peanut butter crunchy, so thought of adding some baby corns as the bites part, but honestly forgot and it got blended with rest of the stuffs. :-P call me forgetful!

This is totally healthy as its packed with vitamins, fiber, and potassium. You can look up the internet for more health benefit details. I loved the fact this is creamy, sweet, spicy and the rustic taste that cinnamon brings in.. So here is how I made this bowl of velvety concoction!

You will need:

To Roast or Steam: 

200 gms chopped butternut squash (deseeded)
500 gms chopped pumpkin
1 apple chopped in chunks (peeled and cored)
4 baby corn sliced

You can choose to roast them like the original recipe. I like to steam my veggies.

Other stuffs:
Oil - 1 tbsp 
Onion - 1 diced
Ginger - 2 tbsp fresh grated
Cinnamon powder - 1 tsp 
Red chili dried - 2 
Vegetable stock - 1 ltr 
Salt and pepper to taste

To garnish
Yogurt - 1 tbsp
Garlic paste - a pinch
Water - 1 tsp

For the Vegetable Stock:
Water - 1.5 ltr
Onion
Parsley
Garlic
Basil
Oregano
Pepper
Dill
Bay leaf
Fenugreek leaves 

Add all of these in a pot and get it to boil and then simmer until you need it for the soup.

Instructions:
  1. Prepare the vegetable stock first if you do not have ready-made
  2. Steam the squash, pumpkin, apple and baby corns
  3. Break it down with a help of fork
  4. Heat some oil in a flat bottomed pot
  5. Saute the diced onions
  6. Add crushed garlic, grated ginger, and cinnamon powder
  7. Let this mixture cook
  8. Add the mixture of steamed veggies
  9. Use a sieve to pour the vegetable stock from the simmering pot and let it boil in medium flame
  10. Reduce and let it simmer for another 10 minutes
  11. Use a hand blender or food processor or blender to blend the soup to fine texture.*
  12. For a silky texture of the soup pass through a sieve into the same pot that is now on low flame. **
  13. Let the soup become hot
  14. Season with salt and pepper
  15. Make a paste of yogurt and garlic and drop it in the center of the bowl before serving. For some bites, you can add some roasted nuts or seeds
  16. Serve Hot. Can be re-heated on stove or microwave.


* I did not have a hand blender, so had to wait for the soup to cool down to use the blender and did it in batches.

** I took this extra step and its worth the effort. 


You don't want to see how I served for F. He saw these pictures and commented how woman make it in reality and how it is made for social media! :-) My case it is so true.. I do the least things so I have less clean up to do post eating... stay-at-home-wife-problems :-)  

You'll Also Love These

4 Thoughts

  1. What a delicious looking soup Famidha, perfect for this time of year. thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! I am so making this!
    Btw, your food photography is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laila! And I have installed Comment luv for blogger blog.. they hopefully should appear going forward. Thank you for the feedback.. Make this soup and do let me know your thoughts.. :-)

      Delete

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery