Rocky Road Cubes

Monday, January 12, 2015

I know I know I did not want to come anywhere close to being a Food blog, but what can I say - what your resist will persist, isn't it? Last night I read a post on finding the niche to blog. I sat wondering what are my passions and which I am good at it too? Like it cannot be something your passionate about but not good at it. Honestly, after reading that post I was this close to give up blogging and also sobbed so much that I had to have a verbal diarrhea with one of my bffs back in India. She gave me a list of things I am good at and one of it was cooking. 

When F was back from work, I told him what I went through in the afternoon and how helpless I felt. Like what is that I am good at? nothing? When he asked me the same question and I kept thinking a lot. I remembered most of my summer holidays used to be in art classes like fabric painting, glass painting, clay designs, tailoring, etc. But sad part is I never pursued any of it after the summer. So, I am not an expert but I love to spend time doing those stuffs. With corporate work experience in Learning industry, I have realized that almost every company I worked for had appreciated my method and procedure writing. But that would be so boring on my blog!  

I never have a single draft on my blog, I write live and what I feel when I open the new post. I know I have a far way to go to get organized with content and have a style statement. And nope I am not going to fall for that post I read which demanded that I be an expert in my passion to be a blogger. 

As I have a Gourmet Pursuit tab in my blog, I thought I will only share tips and how I learnt to cook for two. But a recipe of my successful trial will not hurt the blog, will it? Thus Munchin' Mondays was born. 



Marshmallows - Can you believe the first time I ever got to know about this thing and tasted it was in my early 20s? I used to spend time with two kids of a friend who had returned from the USA and they were used to snacks that were really new to me. Thanks to her and the kids, I became a fan of mini marshmallows. And next thing I was super surprised was a packet of marshmallows - a huge one - just one packet - in a supermarket here in Yanbu! I picked it without a second thought. 

It was kept unopened for days, I knew it is packed with calories and it was a big packet and I can't be the one to finish the whole thing. Whenever I offered F, he would not want it. So, I sat to search for recipes and found so many versions of s'mores. I did my own way as I had no crackers with me then. Will share that simple s'mores recipe later. I came across a simple recipe of rocky road bars here and I made it with a little changes because I did not have all the stuffs mentioned there. 


You will need:

  1. 1 Packet of any biscuits (10 nos.) - I used Britannia Milk Bikies
  2. A handful of mini marshmallows - you can decide to add more or less when you are actually adding. 
  3. Cooking chocolate ( I used 34% cocoa) - 150 gms. You can use your favorite brand.
  4. Butter unsalted - I used 50 gms and added some olive oil - less than 2 tbsp
  5. Tropicana Arabic Sweet Syrup - If you have used dark chocolate then add less of syrup. I would like to retain the cocoa flavor. 
  6. Your choice of nuts - I used walnuts, cashews and a few raisins
  7. Icing sugar for dusting

Make the Rocky Road:

  1. Add the biscuits in a ziplock bag and use a rolling pin to crush them. Do not make too fine. Leave some bites to make the rock like texture. 
  2. Crush the nuts of your choice in similar way
  3. Take any square tray or glassware and line it with a foil sheet pressing all four sides.
  4. Use a thick bottomed saucepan to melt the chocolate, syrup, and butter in the lowest flame. Do not leave it unattended lest the chocolate gets burnt. 
  5. Take the pan off the stove and save some of the melted chocolate in a cup - may be a 1/4 cup
  6. Now, fold in the marshmallows, biscuit crumbs and nuts
  7. Pour this mixture into the prepared foil tray ensuring it is spread evenly across the tray. 
  8. Pour the reserved melted chocolate on top
  9. Cover the tray with a cling film and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight
  10. Before cutting, dust it with icing sugar - you can use a sieve 
  11. Cut them into cubes using a sharp knife in a sawing action - which will stop it from cracking
  12. Munch on one before you serve it.. :-) 


You'll Also Love These

5 Thoughts

  1. Oh I love rocky road! Try not to get too hung up on writing your blog for others, just let 'you' shine through - these are the blogs I love reading the most! I follow one blog which is all about the process of blogging, but although I enjoy it, much of it doesn't apply to non business blogs and plus I don't want to get upset over the whole thing if I don't quite fit in a box, as it's supposed to be fun. I had a mini meltdown in the first month but am now enjoying the learning process, and just write about whatever random thing I think of (although I do draft it!!). Hope all that makes sense, just didn't like to read of you being upset by it all x
    www.lovedbylaura.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww.... thank you Laura! those words are so encouraging... I am not upset anymore. :-)

      Delete
  2. Super happy to know that you didn't give up on yourself, your love for food and your joy of cooking! Rocky Roads looks super yum. I'm going to give it a try this weekend. Keep up the spirit and keep sharing all your fun cooking adventures :-) Heaps of love xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. credit to you Kani! Thank you for listening ...some times, we just need someone to listen and not give advises or perspectives! just listen! Love.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for trying it and for the the feed back. Glad to find your blog. Good work !!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery