Chocolate Strawberry Egg-Less CakeMonday, January 19, 2015
Last Monday, I started the Munchin Mondays with the Rocky Road recipe. This is still featuring in the most popular posts. Flattered I am. Another Monday is here and it is time for me to share the recipe of that Chocolate Strawberry Cake I shared on Instagram.
There was no escaping from desserts but I had to be more careful in ensuring our good health. So I turned to try egg-less cakes and what surprised me was the fact that I could also avoid butter. Now, who would not want to have a Cake and Indulge in it too without any Guilt? :-)
Most of you all know I own no oven here. And several attempts of making cake in Microwave was not always successful. I knew my mom used to bake cakes in a pressure cooker but I never gave heed to know how to do it. N also shared her experience in baking cakes using pressure cooker and that it has always worked best. And then my blogger friend had a post on how to bake a cake using a pressure cooker. So I wanted to give it a try. I checked with my mom, N and the post and used the method that worked best for me.
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour / maida
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold water*
- 1/4 cup olive oil**
- 1 tbsp lime/lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- butter or oil to grease the pan
- Two bowls
- Wired whisk
- Pressure cooker
- A Pan that is deep enough for the cake to rise and that will fit into your pressure cooker
Prepare the Strawberry Mix
- Chop 8 to 10 ripe strawberries (ensure to pat dry after washing them)
- Add 2 tbsp of honey or enough sugar based on the berries taste
- Microwave for 2 mins or cook it on stove top until softens (here you will know how much juice it extracted and accordingly adjust the water measurement.
Prepare the Stovetop
- Keep a flat tawa on a medium flame and leave it (this is similar to preheating the oven)
Make the Cake Batter:
- Grease the pan with butter or oil in all sides. Do ensure every area of the pans base and the sides are greased well
- Sieve all the dry ingredients
- Dissolve the 3/4 cup of sugar in 3/4 cup of cold water (I used 3/4 based on my strawberry mix)
- Add 1/4 cup of olive oil and mix well
- Add the 1 tbsp of lime juice and mix well
- Add 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract and mix well again
- Now add the sieved dry ingredients into the wet mixture
- Using a wired whisk, whisk the batter to ensure no lumps. (the batter will be thin)
- Pour the batter into the greased pan (you can use a spatula to cleanly transfer everything into the pan)
- Tap the sides to break any air bubbles
- Fold in the Strawberries mix (Do not mix too much, just FOLD in and do NOT tap after this)
Bake the Cake:
- Slide in the pan into the Pressure cooker
- Close the cooker with its lid and do not use the Weight/Whistle
- Keep the cooker on the tawa that is getting heated
- Keep the flame to medium to low
- Wait for 30 mins
- You will see droplets of water popping out of the nozzle where you insert the weight - once this happens then wait for 5 more minutes - you will start getting the aroma of the cake
- Open and check the cake's readiness with a toothpick or knife after. If the knife or toothpick comes out clean then your cake is done.
- Else, close and keep it back on the tawa and reduce the flame to low and wait for another 5 minutes. It should be done.
Wait for the Cake:
- Remove the pan from the cooker and leave it on a Kitchen top and forget it.
- Do not try to take it off the pan or tilt it to know if it would come out. You will be tempted to do that.
- After 15 to 20 minutes, you will see the cake detached from the sides, then flip the pan onto a plate and there you have a neatly baked cake!
Eat the Cake:
Now, it is your turn to try this and let me know if it worked or even if it did not work. I don't have an oven is no more a reason to not try Baking!
Bake with Love for your Love.