Chocolate Strawberry Egg-Less Cake

Monday, January 19, 2015

Last Monday, I started the Munchin Mondays with the Rocky Road recipe. This is still featuring in the most popular posts. Flattered I am. Another Monday is here and it is time for me to share the recipe of that Chocolate Strawberry Cake I shared on Instagram.

There was no escaping from desserts but I had to be more careful in ensuring our good health. So I turned to try egg-less cakes and what surprised me was the fact that I could also avoid butter. Now, who would not want to have a Cake and Indulge in it too without any Guilt? :-)

A photo posted by Famidha Ashraf (@fashfuzz) on

Most of you all know I own no oven here. And several attempts of making cake in Microwave was not always successful. I knew my mom used to bake cakes in a pressure cooker but I never gave heed to know how to do it. N also shared her experience in baking cakes using pressure cooker and that it has always worked best. And then my blogger friend had a post on how to bake a cake using a pressure cooker. So I wanted to give it a try. I checked with my mom, N and the post and used the method that worked best for me.

I am a sucker for chocolates and F loves strawberries. So combining the two would be a fair thing to do. I followed a recipe of egg-less chocolate cake and modified it a bit to include the chopped strawberries. What came out of the pan was the best looking cake I made and clicked pictures of it in all angels. Sat looking it and I had good 3 hours to wait for F to come home! Sigh! I sent him the pictures and then I posted on my personal FB immediately. Comments and requests for recipe came pouring in, and so I baked again to ensure it is not the beginners luck! :-P 



So here it is...

You will need:

Dry Ingredients:

  1. 1/2 cup wheat flour
  2. 1/2 cup all purpose flour / maida 
  3. a pinch of salt
  4. 1/2 tsp Baking Soda

Wet Ingredients:

  1. 3/4 cup sugar 
  2. 1 cup cold water* 
  3. 1/4 cup olive oil**
  4. 1 tbsp lime/lemon juice
  5. 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
  6. butter or oil to grease the pan
*If the strawberries are too juicy, then you can reduce the water. I used 3/4 cup of water. 
**You can replace olive oil with melted butter

Tools:

  1. Two bowls
  2. Wired whisk
  3. Pressure cooker
  4. A Pan that is deep enough  for the cake to rise and that will fit into your pressure cooker 

Prepare the Strawberry Mix

  1. Chop 8 to 10 ripe strawberries (ensure to pat dry after washing them)
  2. Add 2 tbsp of honey or enough sugar based on the berries taste
  3. Microwave for 2 mins or cook it on stove top until softens (here you will know how much juice it extracted and accordingly adjust the water measurement. 

Prepare the Stovetop


  1. Keep a flat tawa on a medium flame and leave it (this is similar to preheating the oven)

Make the Cake Batter:

  1. Grease the pan with butter or oil in all sides. Do ensure every area of the pans base and the sides are greased well
  2. Sieve all the dry ingredients 
  3. Dissolve the 3/4 cup of sugar in 3/4 cup of cold water (I used 3/4 based on my strawberry mix)
  4. Add 1/4 cup of olive oil and mix well 
  5. Add the 1 tbsp of lime juice and mix well 
  6. Add 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract and mix well again
  7. Now add the sieved dry ingredients into the wet mixture 
  8. Using a wired whisk, whisk the batter to ensure no lumps. (the batter will be thin)
  9. Pour the batter into the greased pan (you can use a spatula to cleanly transfer everything into the pan)
  10. Tap the sides to break any air bubbles 
  11. Fold in the Strawberries mix (Do not mix too much, just FOLD in and do NOT tap after this)

Bake the Cake:

  1. Slide in the pan into the Pressure cooker
  2. Close the cooker with its lid and do not use the Weight/Whistle
  3. Keep the cooker on the tawa that is getting heated 
  4. Keep the flame to medium to low 
  5. Wait for 30 mins 
  6. You will see droplets of water popping out of the nozzle where you insert the weight - once this happens then wait for 5 more minutes - you will start getting the aroma of the cake
  7. Open and check the cake's readiness with a toothpick or knife after. If the knife or toothpick comes out clean then your cake is done.
  8. Else, close and keep it back on the tawa and reduce the flame to low and wait for another 5 minutes. It should be done. 

Wait for the Cake:

  1. Remove the pan from the cooker and leave it on a Kitchen top and forget it. 
  2. Do not try to take it off the pan or tilt it to know if it would come out. You will be tempted to do that. 
  3. After 15 to 20 minutes, you will see the cake detached from the sides, then flip the pan onto a plate and there you have a neatly baked cake! 
Flip back to the top side and you can choose to add frosting or ganache or whipped cream or just decorate with fresh strawberries etc.  

Eat the Cake: 



The Cake is good when consumed in room temperature. I left the remaining in the fridge and I personally did not like the texture after it is cold, though F did not have any issues.

References:
I adapted this recipe for the egg-less chocolate cake. As per that blog, preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/392 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Now, it is your turn to try this and let me know if it worked or even if it did not work. I don't have an oven is no more a reason to not try Baking!

Bake with Love for your Love.

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery