A Cup of Tea - Milk Powder

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Something happened here for the first time since I came to Yanbu. Power failure. It was gone for more than an hour. No internet! I had completely forgotten about the data network on my SIM! So much for being always home. :-) For the first time, I could hear the neighbors, heard kids cry, heard Backstreet boys track..I could hear even a pin drop! Having to wait for the power and excited about the fact I could hear others secretly (but could not make any sense of it), I made another cup of tea so I have a partner in crime.

You'll know from my post addicted to chai how much I struggled to make a perfect cup of tea consistently - consistent being the struggle. Now that I have figured the how, I thought I will share my secret here. It is not a rocket science, but trust me - making a cup of tea with milk is not as easy as black tea and when it is milk powder which was an alien concept to me. To make it the same way every time was a challenge. 

I am calling this my cup of tea, though if used fresh milk it would be the way done mostly in India. Recently I also learnt that even in Burma they make tea very similar to India. 

stuffs I use in Yanbu for my cup of tea

Follow these steps to the T:

  1. Add 1 and 1/2 teaspoon of the powdered milk in a cup and add a little water to dilute the powder. 
  2. Add water up to the brim of the cup and stir well
  3. Pour this into a deep pan. 
  4. Keep it on the stove at a medium-high flame - wait for it to boil 
    • Here you can add a pinch of grated ginger or  1 cardamom pod  as per your taste or skip this to have a plain tea
  5. Meanwhile, prepare your mug - Take your favorite mug and add 1 teaspoon of sugar 
  6. Once the milk starts boiling, reduce the flame to minimum and add 1 and 1/2 teaspoon of tea powder and wait for the magic. 
    • Do not get tempted to increase the flame to make tea quicker, patience pays.
  7. Once the tea seeps, you will see the milk colour changing. Stir the pan to ensure even distribution of the tea flavour.
  8. I like my tea to be rich in tea flavour and so I keep it for a bit longer 
  9. Use a strainer to strain the tea directly into the mug and stir to dissolve the sugar.
  10. Use the same spoon to press down the residue in the strainer to extract maximum out of it :-) 
  11. Take it along with you to your favorite spot at home
  12. Switch off your wifi/phone/gadgets etc.
  13. Take a sip making the slurrrrrrrrp sound each time... 
There... you just had an amazing "me" time with Tea for you! 

You'll Also Love These

3 Thoughts

  1. I love tea, but never cared too much with milk in it. I made some tonight with it, but I do like the strong natural taste of the tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noor, I tried skipping the milk yesterday, but realized I am addicted to milk tea coz if I dont take it on time with milk I develop headache! yikes! Habits I got to get rid off...

      Delete
  2. I think I am the same way with my cappuccinos.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery